Thursday, September 4, 2008

Real Evangelicals of Genius #1: Christian T-Shirt Designer

For the introduction to this series of posts, click here.
Today we salute you, Mr. Christian T-Shirt Designer. Your job knows no limits of normal work weeks, scarce production, or artistic originality. No, as soon as you see a commercial on TV or growing social trend, you think to yourself, "Hey, I can rip that off ..." and off to work you go. Unlike those pagan t-shirt designers, you have a lot of responsibilities: Bible reading, sin abstaining, church attending, intercessory praying, et al. You don't have time to think up original designs or slogans, so you wisely manage your time by scorning copyrights and trademarks, all in the name of spreading the gospel. You will gladly endure the persecution for the hope that someone might finally realize that "Jesus died for MySpace in heaven." Besides, you have scriptural support! So here's to you, Mr. One-Letter-Away-From-Spiritual-Significance, because no one turns "Subway" into "HisWay" quite like you.
------------------------

Now, I should note, many of these REOG are things that I have some real qualms with. They usually belie a larger issue more than what lies on the surface. This is one that I don't really have a major problem with. I still think it's kind of ridiculous, but it's more a reflection of personal taste than anything. But regardless, I must still point out that I don't have a problem with Christian t-shirts, nor do I deny that they can be used for good. And not all Christian t-shirts are lame, or rip-offs; but let's be honest: most of them are either one or the other, or both.

My biggest issue with the Christian t-shirt designer is that it says to the world that we as Christians have little to no originality. Seriously, go to a Christian book store and look around at t-shirts and other paraphernalia. I guarantee 75% or more of them are some recognizable slogan or logo used by a secular company twisted into some spiritual truth or phrase. Why? I just don't get it. Sure, it's kind of clever (sometimes), but why does EVERY t-shirt have to be a rip-off of some kind? I understand the value and humor that exists in parody, but it just seems like there's a LOT of parody out there. Is it that hard to think of something original? Perhaps it is. As I'm typing this, I'm remembering that I'm taking the name of this series from a popular Budweiser ad on TV and radio. So I guess even I'm not free from my own accusation.

I really think that Christians need to value originality and creativity more, for many reasons. God certainly is the author and originator of creativity, and man made in his image should embrace that. Christian music shouldn't be as bad as it is (on the whole), and our t-shirts should not reek of lameness. There are times it almost seems like just laziness to me. Surely I realize that is an unfair statement, but I see it in my own heart at times, and I have to wonder how much it contributes to the problem (if it can indeed be classified as a problem) as a whole. There is the whole side issue in this of why Christians generally are just kind of weird (and feel that they should be), but that's a whole other thought for another time.

So for now, I will pledge to you that I will think of another title for this series to show I'm not a blatant hypocrite, even if it's not as funny. I'm surely not as smart or witty as the ad gurus at Budweiser, but I will at least have something of my own. For now, consider this the start of a discussion. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

No comments: